Friday, June 28, 2013

Slave Ancestors

During our quest to find the truth about my husbands ancestors we discovered that one of the men in his direct line was a Slave Owner. So I decided to do a little digging and see what I could turn up record wise on the slaves that he held.

James FANCHER and wife Elizabeth CARLOCK lived in Carroll County, Arkansas. Picking up on our earlier post concerning Richard "Uncle Dick" FANCHER and his wife Hannah RIGGS (SNEED) I have learned a lot from the following 1850 Slave Schedule. Hannah RIGGS was owned by one Charles SNEED, whose information is also contained within this Slave Schedule.







The names of each Slave were not given during this accounting. Instead they were listed solely by their age and gender as well as Race.

Charles SNEED had Seven (7) Females ranging in age from 4 to 33 and of those females five (5) were black and two (2) were Mulatto. Meaning I presume they had one White parent.There were only (2) two black males in the household that year.


Looking at the accounting given by James FANCHER; he lists the following: two (2) females, both were black, the oldest was 32 and the youngest 1. He listed five (5) males, all black with the exception of one who is listed as being Mulatto. They range in age from Six (6) to twenty-two (22).

"United States Census (Slave Schedule), 1850 ," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MVHN-2M1 : accessed 29 Jun 2013), James Fancher, 1850.

The above record appears to have been listed a total of seven times on Family Search, I am unsure of the reasoning for that, but I only looked at about four of them, the appear to be identical so I decided not to pursue looking at the remaining ones.



I am working to see if I can identify the names of the Slaves that worked for James and his wife Elizabeth. I have previously written about one Richard "Uncle Dick" FANCHER who was the Biological Son of James FANCHER; he was also considered  a Slave who was owned by James FANCHER as well. When James died Dick was emancipated. 


No comments:

Post a Comment