Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Wilkey/Wilkie Family Connections

Bennett Maxey WILKEY and wife Jennie Jane CALDWELL were my Maternal third great Grandparents.

The History of Jefferson County, Illinois book states that Grandmother Jane was the mother of eighteen (18) children, six (6) girls and twelve (12) boys.  I have not been able to account for all of those children. I am currently conducting research to see what I can locate about those missing children.

If you have read my prior posts concerning this family you will note that I have suspected this is where my Native American Heritage comes in. I received some news this week from one of my DNA cousin matches and it has further confirmed and solidified my suspicions. My 4th Great Grandfather Henry WILKEY, little has been known about him to this date. He married one Hester MAXEY. At present I have only been able to account for five children belonging to my 4th Great Grandparents;as follows:


  1. Vine Melvina WILKEY she married John G HICKS. Aunt Vina was born about 1790 in Cherokee Territory, East Georgia.
  2. Bennett Maxey WILKEY (my 3rd Great Grandfather) he married one Jennie Jane CALDWELL. Grandfather Bennett was born about 1793 in Cherokee Territory, East Georgia.
  3. Carter WILKEY M.D married one Brunetta CASEY. Uncle Carter was born 7 Sept. 1797 in Cherokee Territory, East Georgia.
  4. Prudence WILKEY she married one Abel ALLEN. Aunt Prudence was born 27 March, 1805 in Cherokee Territory, East Georgia
  5. Richard Dick WILKEY he married one Eleanor KIRKENDALL
  6. John WILKEY born about 1816 in Hawkins Tennessee. It is thought, though not proven by this researcher that he married one Nancy PULLEN/HARTLEY.
  7. Unnamed Daughter WILKEY I am not certain of her name as of yet, I found out about her through the book entitled History of Jefferson County Illinois She married one Jacob WELDON
  8. Unnamed Daughter she also appeared in the above reference material, she is said to have married a gentleman with the surname of ROBINSON
I am getting ready to do some in depth research on this family and see if I can locate the names of each of these missing children and their spouses. I will update this post once I have located said information.

No comments:

Post a Comment