Saturday, December 28, 2013

Will the real Isaac Johnson please standup?

Today I want to update my readers on the search for the parents of my paternal great grandmother Alice Mae JOHNSON. To recap; the only information that I had prior to DNA testing was the name of her father: Ike Johnson. That name was listed on Alice's death certificate. Some distant members of the family had stated that they believed her mothers name may have been Mary. For quite sometime now I have been sitting on some clues that turned up in my DNA results. I wanted to be absolutely certain before I shared the information here.
I have found my Johnson family, of that I am quite certain. The problem I now am faced with is the fact that there are three men in the family named Isaac Johnson. I am trying to sort through them to locate which one of them is Alice Maes father. I am going to share a little about each one of them here in this post. If anyone reading this knows if one of these men had a daughter named Alice please let me know.

#1- Isaac Denton Johnson was born abt 1826 in Overton County, Tennessee. He married one Sarah Sally YANDLE. She was the daughter of William YANDLE and Sarah CRUMP. Isaacs parents were Benjamin James JOHNSON and Mahalia DENTON. I actually believe this one may have been too old to have been her father and instead was her grand uncle.

#2- Isaac M JOHNSON the son of Isaac Denton JOHNSON. His age would have been right. However his wife's name was Julie A FINLEY and they resided in Bosque, Texas. Alice was born in Missouri.

#3- Isaac JOHNSON was the son of Francis Marion JOHNSON and Delayne MEDLEY, and the nephew of Isaac Denton JOHNSON ( #1) I feel this one may have been Alice's father. His wife's name was Mary Otelia HORTON daughter of William HORTON and Mary Jane SIMMERMAN.

This branch of the JOHNSON family resided in or near Dallas, Webster County, Missouri. Isaac Denton JOHNSON was a Sherrif there.

Now I am off to tackle the census records for any hint of Alice in the household of one of these three or their siblings. I believe from information contained on her marriage record to my great grandfather John Newman HARTLINE, that Alice may have had a guardian. If you have any information please leave me a comment below. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment