Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Obituary Findings and More!

This week I decided to check out the Newspaper Archives in order to help further my research efforts in my husbands line.

If you have been reading my blog for any length of time you probably saw my other post regarding his Slave ancestors, namely one Richard "Uncle Dick" Fancher. To recap, Uncle Dick would have been my husband's Great Granduncle in some capacity, we have not exactly figured out how many greats just yet but we will get there.

I have been doing my best to track each of the slaves owned by his Great Grandfather James Fancher. I decided to utilize every source I could possibly think of and so having done that I ran across some newspaper clippings that I wanted to share here on this site. The first one is an Obituary for Uncle Dick. This particular one was published in the Harrison Times in Harrison County, Arkansas on 6 May, 1911.


Forgive the yellow highlighting in the passage. I have yet to figure out how to turn that off in their system. 
The next passage I located was the following:


This was also published in the Harrison Times, Harrison Arkansas on 26 January, 1901. There was a second write up in February of that same year that spoke of the family having recovered from the Small Pox issue.

I went on to find many other valuable articles and passages concerning the Fancher family which I may share at a later date. There is a lot of valuable information contained in Older Newspapers. Do not forget to check them for things like Obituaries as well as announcements of all sorts. I note that members of the Fancher family were good at making the Society Column on a regular basis. It never hurts to check there as well. Happy hunting!

The Cemetery Graphic in this post was provided by Rhio's Sampler



No comments:

Post a Comment